Who are we?
The Natural Leaders Alliance (NLA) is a growing alliance of young Canadians who are working together to give their peers opportunities to get outside and have fun! As a youth-led initiative of the Child and Nature Alliance of Canada, we recognize the importance of spending time outdoors and aim to reconnect all Canadian youth to nature by empowering a strong network of leaders across the country.
The NLA started to sprout in 2009 at the Get Outside! It’s In Our Nature Forum in Victoria, BC. Since that inaugural event the Alliance’s foundation has developed into a ‘for youth, by youth’ organization focusing on outdoor events, awareness campaigns, and longer lasting nature programs.
Collectively we’ve given approximately 800 youth across the country the opportunity to get outside and have fun in our awesome natural surroundings! Presentations have also been made in local schools and national conferences about the importance of getting outside. Finally, and indeed notably, past and present Natural Leaders are walking the talk and continue to show their passion for nature in all that they do!
Currently being developed by a small core of Natural Leaders, the Alliance is looking to grow and evolve in the coming year! While events have been a successful part of the NLA, we are now looking toward a more sustainable and further reaching approach in getting kids outside.
Check out all the projects we've been involved with since we started!
Click here for our 2012 Annual Report!
If you are interested in joining the crew or want to learn more about then NLA, than we would love to hear from you!
What are our goals for 2013?
As we continue to evolve as a strong network of leaders, we have decided to focus on a few key projects for 2013!
- Natural Leaders Alliance: The Natural Toolbox Project
- With support from the North Face, we will develop a tangible resource that will be given to interested youth filled with vital information, examples and potential initiatives to establish their own Natural Leaders club and get their peers outside!
- Our goal is for these clubs to be a place where youth can create accessible outdoor peer events, work toward creating a natural space for learning in their school, and develop their outdoor leadership.
- Get Outside BC! Youth Summit
- Once again we will collaborate with our partners to host another incredible week of outdoor leadership and event planning in July of this year!
- Growth of Core Team
- As we work alongside such inspiring organizations and people, we hope to connect and create a lasting alliance of Natural Leaders across Canada!